____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Enamels

Enamels

Postby Sonja » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:54 am

Can anyone explain the difference between Hard and Soft Enamels and how one can distinquish between them ??? On what type of china would one use? I think....my opinion only....that soft enamels are used on glass because of the low temp to fire it.........???......has more flux in it......????? Ann A. Walker, La. USA
Sonja

Re: Enamels

Postby Sonja » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:56 am

The Hard Enamels like Base for Gold are to be used on hard porcelain with a hard glaze (fired at a much hotter temperature), like German, Limoges, Japanese, Chinese, and other porcelains.

The Soft Enamels are used on Pickard, Bone China and those with a soft glaze ( fired at a cooler temperature).

Ruth Cooper sold a Flow Enamel and it was a soft enamel for soft glaze china. Cherryl Meggs
Sonja

Re: Enamels

Postby Sonja » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:46 am

"Copper Enamel" Do any of you know what it is? Thanks, Linda Hoffman

When grounded on a piece of porcelain (just as you would ground any color) the copper enameling fires to the look of pewter. Stella Shilling in Houston

The only copper enamel I know of is used to fire on copper items. Copper enameling was a popular craft some years back. Fran Zgonc
Sonja

Return to E