____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Banding Wheel

Banding Wheel

Postby marcib » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm

For an easy way to make bands on plates etc...
There are two types:
regular banding wheels which come in different styles but basically look like this:

banding wheel.jpg

To center the piece , you either eyeball it using the concentric rings embossed on the surface of the wheel or you can place the piece on the wheel and turn the wheel while gently tapping the edge of the piece until it is centered..
Once centered , you then stabilize your arm ( Propping your arm on a stack of books works well ) and then fully load a brush . While turning the banding wheel, you then lower the brush onto the piece and keep turning the wheel until you have formed a complete band.

There is another type of banding wheel called a self-centering banding wheel . They are expensive and now, difficult to find. It has a built-in arm rest and a heavier set of bearings but the most interesting feature is a set of fingers that come through the top of the wheel that can be adjusted to hold the piece in place. When you move one finger,all the fingers move at the same time allowing you to accurately center the piece with little effort.
They look like this:
selfbanding wheela9.jpg
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Re: Banding Wheel

Postby marcib » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm

My contribution to the Letter of the Week (B) is the banding wheel. When I need to make a border, it is so easy to center the piece and 'band away'! Also, the banding tool, a simple, inexpensive 'thingy' with holes that lets you draw lines around the rim of something. Today I used it to draw a border on a square plate. I'm sure others will think of other uses!
Lisa in Michigan
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby marcib » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:51 pm

OK Lisa, NOW youve DONE IT !>.. I want to hear about how you did a band on a square plate with a banding wheel .... ;thumps;
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby marcib » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Ladies,
You can center a piece on a turn wheel by slowly turning it and adjusting it as you go. It takes forever and that's why I bought the wheel! The wheel self centers the porcelain and away you go! I have found, however, that most of the porcelain I purchase from our suppliers is warped a little or a lot. I guess the best goes to the factories and we get the remains. In that case, a banding wheel will show you how warped the piece is and it's up to you to do the best you can! I sometimes 'fudge' an edge to make it work. A little bug or a cartouche will often solve the problem. Hope this helps.
By the way, Jill, I started a platter (a gift for a friend) with your study of what I call "Queen Anne's Lace"! I can't remember what you call it, but again, I thank you for the study!
Happy painting.
Lisa
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby marcib » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Along with Banding Wheel let me add the Book 'Designing with Bands for the Porcelain Artist.' by Mary Ellen Cross Haggerty. When I splurged and bought my banding wheel a number of years ago I also got this book and it's WONDERFUL!!! Not sure you can still get it but it's well worth the money!!
Sara in NC
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:03 am

Where can I buy a self-centering banding wheel?

Jonathan
jonathan_david@ymail.com
Jonathan

Postby marcib » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:50 am

They are nearly impossible to find. They dont make them anymore... You have to luck into someone who has one that is willing to sell it.
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Angela » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Could you use a giffin grip on a non motorized banding wheel? It is self centering.
Angela

Postby marcib » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Im not sure how it attaches to the wheel head ...( never seen the bottom of one ) so I dont know .
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby greerdesign » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Does anyone have one of those self centering banding wheels for sale?
greerdesign

Return to B