____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

A sweet legend of advent of Spring.

A place to post information about interesting things that are not related to chinapainting or art

A sweet legend of advent of Spring.

Postby SACHI » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 am

Everyone probably wants the early spring.Especially this year,we experienced the heavy snow and severe cold on the northern hemisphere from the end of 2010 to the beginning of 2011. When I read the groundhog story on the PPIO list,it reminded me a lovely story about an advent of Spring that I heard in my childhood.Here is the story.

There is a special lake which is neither too big nor too small at a center of Japan's main land.We can see a big ice bridge running through the lake.
Long time ago,Goddess lived at one side of the lake and God at another side of the lake.They were in ;heart; love ;heart; but they were too busy to see each other during the farming season to help people.So they could have the dates on the frozen lake,going on the ice bridge between their shrines,only in winter. ;angel; ;angel; ;angel; ;angel; ;angel;
So in the winter that there is no ice bridge on the lake ;yikes: ,or that there is an ice bridge running to the wrong direction ;yikes2; ,they are fully disappointed.And they wait for a "right" ice bridge as long as possible ;pray; ....thus Spring comes slowly in such a winter. If a right ice bridge doesn't appear,God and Goddess can't charge themselves fully and will not be able to work hard as people expected.So the crop of the year will become poor.

There seems to be several versions of this story.For example; Somebody says the rise of icy lake is the "footmarks" of God.And the reason of late spring and poor harvest is Goddess's anger.Because she came to know God had gone to another women's places from his footmarks on the lake. :fight: ;dontknow;
My favorite is a romantic version,of course. ;thumps;

I 'd love to hear another spring legends of the world. ;love;
SACHI

Re: A sweet legend of advent of Spring.

Postby marcib » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 pm

HI Sachi,
Thank you for posting this.
Sachi and I were talking about the Groundhog legend on Groundhog Day this year .. and I asked her if that was also a Japanese tradition .. and she send me this lovely spring legend. I wanted her to share it with you all so I set up this new section of the forum where we can post things that are fun and interesting but arent really related to painting ..
So , thank you Sachi, for posting this lovely legend.
marci
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Re: A sweet legend of advent of Spring.

Postby marcib » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 pm

HI Sachi,
Thank you for posting this.
Sachi and I were talking about the Groundhog legend on Groundhog Day this year .. and I asked her if that was also a Japanese tradition .. and she send me this lovely spring legend. I wanted her to share it with you all so I set up this new section of the forum where we can post things that are fun and interesting but arent really related to painting ..
So , thank you Sachi, for posting this lovely legend.
marci
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Return to Interesting Stuff