____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Scratch off technique egg

etching... acid etch , faux etching (underlay), sandblasting

Scratch off technique egg

Postby marcib » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:16 pm

bertie2.jpg
I just got this new lesson from Bertie on doing scratch off technique... Thank you , Bertie , for sending this. Im sure that many people are going to want to try it ..
Bertie said:
"Here are photos of the 6 inch egg I am working on for CPTT's raffle basket for the
SFPAC Convention in April. I used a light green luster, think it was Green Op from
Cynthia Pinnell. Dark lusters do not work from my experiments. Usually use Opal or
Mother of Pearl. It is a method I learned from Shirley Nock at CPTT last year using
while Matt paint."

bertie1.jpg

bertie2.jpg

"Here is the instructions for the Scratch off that I used on the egg. There are many
different things that you can do with it. I am currently working on a box with just
a band of the scratch off and may put liquid bright gold on it as that is a pretty
accent too. Or I may put the luster. Haven't decided yet. Also I am designing a
poinsettia where the petals are scratch off but the leaves will be regular painting.
Background will be luster on it. We will see what that experiment turns out to be.

I love this technique and as I said, Shirley Nock taught us this at China Painting
Teachers of Texas last year. I will send you the pictures of the two plates that I
did at that time with her designs.
Here us the box with just the scratch off on it, i have not painted the design on it
yet. I used opal luster over the scratch off. The opal doesn't show well in the
photo. "

bertie3.jpg

bertie4.jpg

SCRATCH-OFF METHOD OF ACCENT

This is Shirley Nock’s way of doing the Scratch Off. She told me last night that you could put light colored luster under the area that you are scratching off and it will show when you scratch your design. This would be a pretty accent and different. Hope you enjoy this method of accenting your pieces.
Put on clean 6 by 6 inch White Tile.
Take about a teaspoon of WHITE MATT PAINT
In corner of tile put 1 drop TURPENOID NATURAL (GREEN CAN)
Add 1 drop of INDIA INK to WHITE MATT PAINT
Add enough LAVENDER OIL to make it soupy.
Add a little at a time of TURPENOID NATURAL .

After you trace your design, then outline it with a fine sharper liner, let dry, then take a paper towel and wipe the graphite off.
If a particular shape design then red resist around the area that you will be applying the scratch off. If straight lines then you can just tape it off.

Apply the scratch off mixture with a sponge and be sure to get a thin coat. If the mixture is on too thick then it will turn yellow. Take you blow dryer and dry the mixture. Then take a toothpick and scratch off the designs you want. Most of the time it is the Zentangle style of scratching off. But you can do any design you want in it.

Take a soft Mop brush and lightly brush any scratch off that is left on the design from scratching it off. FIRE TO .017
Use OPAL LUSTER or MOTHER OF PEARL over the WHITE SCRATCH OFF. FIRE TO .017
Decorate and paint any design that you want on your piece now.
Hope you enjoy embellishing your pieces with this method.
Bertie Stephens
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Re: Scratch off technique egg

Postby Bev Tidd » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you to Marci for posting Berties's lesson here. The egg is very pretty with the light green luster over it...the lesson is great!

~Bev
Bev in Minnesota, USA
"There is joy bringing forth beauty that comes from your heart...and speaks of who you are."
Bev Tidd

Postby marcib » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Bev, yeah .,. I like the light green a lot... I ve done this kind of technique but have always used Mother of Pearl on top , which I love, but I like this as well... and Ill bet it would be pretty with any of the colored Mother of pearls or ivory or light blue.. Gonna have to try it... Thanks, again , Bertie !!
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Becky Syroka » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:03 am

I really love the delicate effects of this scratch off technique. Love your examples! Thank you very much for sharing the lesson with us. I really must try something like this one of these days.
And thank you Marci for posting this for Bertie.
Becky
Becky Syroka
Portraits on Porcelain
http:beckysyroka.com
Becky Syroka

Return to Etching