____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

INSPIRATION: the insides of waves

Forum rules
There is no time limit on any of the challenges. Feel free to post your paintings into any of the challenge areas at any time.

These can be in ANY medium ...

This is not a contest... no prizes, no critiques ( unless you want one) .. just a way for us all to start at the same place and see what we can come up with ....

So come on and join in

Re: INSPIRATION: the insides of waves

Postby eganj1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes I can't wait to get playing with my clay but things keep cropping up, Marci you are right it's about total expression, and as you know i want to break boundaries or at the least combine different media, I have been thinking about clay and silver a lot while packing those boxes.
Jill in England

My blog-
http://kilnfiredart.wordpress.com/

My websites
http://www.flat-bottles.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kilnfiredart.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eganj1

Postby kaye hurn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:58 am

Marci . . . those pieces are lovely. So unique and shiny and quite beautiful.
So when you put the lustre on the glazed porcelain, you leave tiny gaps between the colours? That's what it looks like on the pic. And the lustre looks as though it has been thinned down a bit so it is soft and it all blends together. Is that right?
kaye hurn

Postby marcib » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm

HI Kaye,
yes .
I put on areas of luster leaving a lot of white porcelain showing. ( If you put the colors too close together at this stage, it doesnt leave you any room for the colors to mingle and make secondary colors . If the colors are all jammed together when you paint them on, you will get muddy color )

I then drip dispersing fluid all over the piece while tipping, tilting and blowing on the piece to move th e luster around.. I do this till IM happy with the light/ dark patterns.You wont know what the colors look like till after firing.. but you will be able to see light and dark patterns...

You can add more luster or more dispersing fluid as needed...

and yes, because i leave a lot of white showing when I apply the luster in the first place, it leaves white areas in the pattern... If you dont like that look, you can always do a 2nd solid coat of luster over the whole thing ..
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 am

I've only today stumbled on this - I look at the site almost on a daily basis for all the wonderful inspiration from around the world! Christine kindly posts stuff for me - she usually emails me the link! She is amazing ...
Thank you for your comments on my unfinished painting! To put the record straight - it is in a acrylic at this stage - I like to used to media to enable me to add bits to the canvas - eg beads, torn paper, etc. Later, I may add oil paints - I tend to sort of use oil at the latter stages of work. I used the image as a source to produce the painting which is about the stormy conditions in Portugal in early March - I have substituted the palm trees for buildings on the beach ... the painting is darker to represent the devastating news items about Madiera and the coast of Portugal while we were there.
Simply love the work Jill and Marci have produced - longing to see how Marci forms her wonderful shapes!
'nuff said. Regards, Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby Christine Bennetts » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Sorry Elizabeth!!! I thought I had put these up!!!!!!!!!!! zz

Thought you may like to see the completed version of Elizabeth's wave picture and the exact detail involved!????????
moon and waves 017 2.jpg

Here is some of the detail Elizabeth managed to include in her work which just CAN'T be seen properly unless you can touch it as well as view it!!! ;help:
moon and waves 010 2.jpg
moon and waves 011 2.jpg
moon and waves 012 2.jpg
moon and waves 014 2.jpg
moon and waves 015 2.jpg
moon and waves 016 2.jpg
moon and waves 017 2.jpg

;clap; ;clap; ;clap; ;clap; ;clap; ;clap; ;clap; ;clap;
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Postby eganj1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm

great job Elizabeth ;bravo; ;bravo; ;bravo; ;bravo; ;bravo; ;bravo;
Jill in England

My blog-
http://kilnfiredart.wordpress.com/

My websites
http://www.flat-bottles.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kilnfiredart.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eganj1

Postby annaherring » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 pm

I had not been keeping track of PPIO stuff for several months and got back to it about a month ago - everything about this challenges amazes me: the photos and the work that the artists' have done, all AMAZING and so beautiful! Beautiful work Jill, Marci and Elizabeth - sure wish I could see them in person!
annaherring

Postby Kerri » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:38 pm

That's beautiful! Is it oil? Acrylic? Mixed media? ;bravo;
Kerri

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Thank you all for showing interest. Kerri, just to say it is all the above! Mixed media in that I have used acrylic, torn paper, beads, ground coffee, and developed the image and then worked over everything in oil paint. I began this method of working whilst I was in the final year of my degree and it has become my preferred way of making a painting. Regards, Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Previous

Return to ART CHALLENGE