____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

ads on the forum

Have a question or comment about the forum ? Post it here.
Forum rules
This is the place for questions, answers and comments about the forum .

You can also PM Marci directly . ( I will post info on how to do that below in the first post)

MOST questions about how to post can be answered by going to the main page of the forum and reading the posts in the HOW TO POST section . ( including how to post photos)

Paige Lukens-Gray has also created some excellent pdf files that explain many things about how to post in an easy -to-print PDF format. Those are also found on the main page right under the HOW TO POST section .

How annoying are the ads on the forum to you ?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:20 am

Extremely annoying.
5%
A little annoying, but I can live with it .
29%
They dont bother me at all.
51%
What ads?
15%

Total votes : 41

Re: ads on the forum

Postby jole » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:53 pm

The ads don't bother me at all...Hey I'm so good at ignoring them...I didn't even know they were there LOL Jole
jole

Postby marcib » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Breda Cash wrote:Provided that the advertisements remain as is, I can cope. However their excuse sounds lame.

We ARE getting a great deal of space from them .... Actually unlimited space, which is not free to them . They do have to pay for space... so I can t begrudge them a way to get that back... and the ads are the way they do it.. or by charging for ad removal

The ideal would be for them to not be there at all.

Agreed, thats why we initially paid to have them removed... but the price has now gone up considerably..
My major concern is that this may just be the thin edge of the wedge.

I guess we cross that bridge when when ( if) we come to it..

Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Arrilia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Marci
Firefox has a bunch of Add Ons you can get. Ad Blocker keeps the ads from being viewed or loaded to your computer. On my page the area is just blank. Here is a link to the Ad Blocker.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6826

Another one I use is Flashblock, link follows. This will stop any flash video, if you want to view it then you click on the triangle button for it to start. I believe, it can speed up your browsing because it blocks the file from working, unless you want it to.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

There are a bunch of Ad Block type Add Ons you can get from Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck&cat=all

Another one I use is Plain Old Favorites. It will import Explorer's Favorites into Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/668

There is a whole bunch of other Add Ons.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
I think these Add Ons can be developed by anyone and then shared on the site. If you try something other than the ones listed above, I suggest taking a look at the reviews and the number of downloads. If it is being downloaded a lot, it should be safe to use. I dont know if Firefox test these or not.

You manage/access these from Firefox Toolbar under Tools, Add-ons. There is a Find Updates button that will go out and search for updates for your Add Ons.

Let me know if more info is needed.

Arrilia
Arrilia

Postby Jo Thackery » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Marci, I thought we were just getting more info. LOL. I really don't mind them, I just scroll down.
You guys have provided such a great place for all of us to chat, that I really don't see how any of us can complain. We could have nothing....
Thanks for all you do. Jo Thackery - OPAR Director
Jo Thackery

Postby kaye hurn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm

The ads don't bother me at all . . . . and so far the poll shows that this opinion is a majority one.
:ppio:
kaye hurn

Postby Christine Bennetts » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:18 am

I don't think that the ads should be there if the agreement was to have an ad free site. I would gladly pay for the forum if it helped, because this may grow as a problem as the site becomes more well known and more popular.

I find the moving ones distracting - but that does not take much.

Is there any way to even put a limit on it? Sounds like they waited until it got lots of hits and then changed the rules.
Christine ;overreact;
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Postby FRBRIQ » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 am

The adds are invading us, not only on Internet, our mail boxes are full too. But I just don't look at them if their subject does not interest me.
So they are annoying but I can live with them.
:ppio:
Francoise
Francoise, Melun, France
FRBRIQ

Location: MELUN, 45 kms South from Paris and 15 from Fontainebleau

Postby Arrilia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:23 am

Christine,
Hit the ESC key to stop the moving stuff, it usually works.

Arrilia
Arrilia

Postby marcib » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:32 am

aarm69 wrote:The ads don't bother me at all......especially since you have to pay out of pocket to remove them.!! :ppio:
But, I wonder why you have to pay to remove unsolicited ads on your own website ???
Ann A. from Walker, La.

because , like anything else on the net, you dont own a site... you rent it.... and we are essentially getting a mansion for the price of a trailer... :) ... so we either pay mansion rental fees and do as we please or pay trailer rental fees and let the landlord leave some boxes in the cellar...so as long as the majority of you dont mind walking around a few boxes ......
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby marcib » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:44 am

Christine Bennetts wrote:I don't think that the ads should be there if the agreement was to have an ad free site.

The agreement is that for X dollars a month , there are no ads... What they DONT say is that , at a certain point, that no longer applies... We are getting more than 60,000 hits a month , which is huge... so I cant blame them for wanting the ad revenue...

We are also using a lot of space and will continue to use even more with all the pictures we put up.. Most of the sites they host are fanboy sites with not a lot of pictures ... so we are using up a lot of their bandwidth , yet they have told me that they will continue to allow us unlimited b bandwidth ...which is the more important consideration...

Also, before I set up the forum , I signed up for a whole lot of different forums to find out what would best serve our needs... This company is the only one who did.... With the unlimited space, the ease of posting photos directly from your computer without having to put them on Flicker or whatever first, etc , they were the best option available and I jumped on it.. so again, I dont begrudge them making a little ad revenue....

I would gladly pay for the forum if it helped, because this may grow as a problem as the site becomes more well known and more popular.

The problem there is that , as the site grows , the price of ad removal will also grow ...and it would require constant monitoring ( like having to sit at a parking meter and constantly plug in coins so the meter doesnt expire )

I find the moving ones distracting - but that does not take much.

Is there any way to even put a limit on it?
Its a yes or no thing.. Pay the fee and it removes ads for 1,000 page hits.. pay it again and it removes the ads for another 1,000 page hits.. so like i said, it would be a constant monitoring thing and considering we are getting , at this point, over 60,000 hits a month, ( and constantly growing ) it could mean having to do this several times a day ...and could add up to a considerable amount of money ,,,,,, whereas , if we're willing to put up with a little bit of nuisance, we wouldnt have to worry about it ..

Sounds like they waited until it got lots of hits and then changed the rules.
I get the feeling that they didnt anticipate any of their sites getting as big and popular as ours..
Christine ;overreact;
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Questions , Answers and Comments