____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Diana Williams artwork in China

a place for open discussions about chinapainting and other art mediums

Re: Diana Williams artwork in China

Postby marcib » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 pm

OK.. i dont get it.My only point in the original email was that I didnt believe that Diana was making the complete forms herself according to the article which suggested that artisans at the " factory" were doing at least part of the work under her direction .
I was told that I had horribly insulted her by suggesting that and that I didnt understand the " real" process of making art ...
Then , this" clarification "article shows up and appears to say exactly the same thing Ive been saying. ...that Diana isnt making every aspect of her pieces...
Diana, if you thought i was insulting your work, I wasnt. As chinapainters, we take major crap on a regular basis for not making our own forms. We arent allowed into art shows etc because of that....so when I saw the article suggesting that someone who has their work shown in obviously prestigious galleries is not making the piece by themselves start to finish , I thought it was an interesting tidbit to send to the list...and I STILL dont understand what I stated that was mistaken since your new addition to the discussion also suggests that you paint on other people's forms and have artisans helping you complete your other forms....How that isnt " other people making your stuff" ,I dont know....
There are a lot of artists out there who have other people make their stuff: Dale Chihuly comes to mind but if someone made the statement that he has other people making his stuff, would he claim that someone was impugning his integrity by stating what is the truth?
Look, I m just some little hack making and painting pieces that would no doubt be laughed out of the real art world but I can read....and what I have just read doesnt change my take on the situation one bit....that you have other people helping you make your work .
I was making no judgment on whether that is good or bad or indifferent . I made no comment on your work at all ... just on the fact that you were not physically making your forms ( again, which your new post also seems to verify ) and stating that we chinapainters take major crap for not making our own forms....
marci
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Christine Bennetts » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 am

Marci I really AM surprised that USA takes major crap because they don't make their own pieces. How very sad is it that in UK - you know - the country who HAD Royal Doulton, and HAD Spode, and aaaaaaalllll the others they have allowed to be trashed, bankrupted etc who no longer exist........that I can honestly say that never ONCE have I been asked if I "made" the piece. Maybe I am scary? ;roflmao: (Don't be silly!)

Any way..........as Scott is SUCH a big show off, I am going to do the same. ;pms; (For those who don't know me - I don't paint anymore, and so when James Skerrett came to Southport, it was embarrassing!)

Anyway............this is unfinished,........... but the last thing I painted.
christine 001 2.jpg

It is a sort of pie dish which is approx 14 inches in diameter........however, in the interests of CLARITY, I provide the following information:

Pie Dish - From Wedgwood

Clay stuff rolled out by Mick the pie man,
Molded into pie mold by his wife Edna (who has a drink problem so there is a lump in the middle)
White shiny glaze applied by Marlene (has a night job so I'll say no more, but glaze is lumpy too!)

Fired by Geoff the kiln man (who is also the Chief Fire Officer for Stoke City Council)

Painted by Christine the Cava Queen.........BUT............inspired by:

Nest - Bertie the Blackbird (tree 4 branch 7 in Christine's garden)
Eggs - Cadbury (available at Easter)
Grapes - Tesco (Fruit Dept special offer 1.35 per lb until next tue)
Glass - 24% lead from Christine's right hand kitchen cupboard - holds one fifth bottle of Cava
Leaves - From rose bush no 6 in Christine's garden-brought in by Onyx on Monday 18th October
Blackberries - Are actually raspberries in disguise to avoid Bill the picker from the juice company.
Apple - Stolen from 2 doors down the road - so don't tell.
Black Grapes - were beaten up by the green ones on the way home from Tesco.

The glass is leaning because by the time I got to this stage I was too...........this is not my type of work AT ALL and James told me I was a disgrace. zz

However, my Mum liked it........................so I will HAVE to finish the damned thing.

If you live in a part of the world where ANYONE gives a toss about china and painting count yourself VERY lucky! UK is stuffed.

;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help: ;help:
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Postby Diana Williams » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:23 am

Thank-you to everyone for their input and emails, especially for the humorous ones.

It really does put things back into perspective. As Scot has mentioned it is a debate which has gone on for a long time and there are many diverse points of view from all corners. I am sure we have better things to do with our time. I have taken all points of the discussion on board as I do try to keep an open mind.

Unfortunately sometimes emailing messages doesn’t always put a clear and exact meaning to things. It can lead to things being misconstrued and taken out of context.
I really understand about the difficulties porcelain artists encounter with having their work accepted as art as I have been down that track also.

I think it’s probably a good time for me to bow out now as I don’t believe it will benefit anybody to continue with this discussion. If I can ever help anyone if they decide to come to Jing De Zhen, please let me know.

I wish everyone all the best.
Diana
Diana Williams

Postby Christine Bennetts » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:18 am

DON'T BOW OUT!!!

The forum needs all input and I would be upset if this has put you off showing your work here!

Pweeeeeeeeeze stay! (From the crawler in UK!)

Congratulations for your perseverance and being prepared to be away from home for months at a time! ;congrats;
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Postby eganj1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:31 am

Diana, I was really pleased when you joined us, I would hate to see you bow out, however I do understand why you feel this way, you haven't experienced the warmest reception. Keep breaking ground, it's people like you and Johanna that can change people's perseptions of the art ;thumps;
I'll be in touch soon
Jill in England

My blog-
http://kilnfiredart.wordpress.com/

My websites
http://www.flat-bottles.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kilnfiredart.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eganj1

Postby Cate » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 am

Every time someone bows out it leaves an unrepairable hole. I hope you will reconsider. Words will never be perfect but we all learn and improve as we learn.
Cate from Colorado
Cate

Postby geniusC » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:47 pm

I am a student so do not stop posting or we have NO IDEA what is going on in Oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;0Z NO GOOD! george

(Who doesn't yet understand all that has been talked about but is going to find out.)
geniusC

Postby Diana Williams » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello everyone. I dont intend to completely cut myself off. I think this is a great site and has so much value for its members. I see there has been so much energy and knowledge invested into something like this. I will contibute sometimes when time allows to other discussions etc. Thanks so much for all the care. After George the student got concerned and that big Pweeeze from Christine and all the other friends I have made recently, how could I walk away. Diana ;thanks;
Diana Williams

Previous

Return to Discussions