____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Titles! - China Painting?

a place for open discussions about chinapainting and other art mediums

Titles! - China Painting?

Postby Christine Bennetts » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:04 pm

If you use the term "China Painting" in UK - everyone thinks you are an old lady who paints roses on a flat plate and there is no interest in classes or any advertised courses.

If I say, "Kiln Fired Art" - then I get lots of interest and enquiries.

Is this the same where you live? If so -can you please give an idea OF THE COUNTRY?

(ONLY BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE LOADS OF FOLK INTERESTED I WANT YOUR ADDRESS SO I CAN MOVE NEXT DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;roflmao: )

Is it the same where you live????????????? ;thanks;
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Re: Titles! - China Painting?

Postby Sonja » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi Christine!

In Austria it is exact the same situation. But our People have no interesting by the term "China paintin" - it sound old fashoned. And by "kiln fired Art" the think it is very complicated.

Bye, Sonja
Last edited by Sonja on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonja

Postby wild plum gallery » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:25 pm

same for us in our part of GA (USA). We call ourselves "porcelain artist", just to make it sound fresh and interesting. I like "kiln fired" too but I think fewer people would get that terminology.
love ya,
Scot
Scot Mauldin
Lexington, GA
http://www.wildplumgallery.com
wild plum gallery

Postby carol.miller » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:26 pm

More than once, people have thought I am referring to Chinese painting.
carol.miller

Postby kaye hurn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 am

When people heard I "china paint" - they thought I went to China to paint. I wish!!

When our club had its latest exhibition , we called it "Kiln Fired Art" and received a good response. Well, better than if we advertised it as "china painting" .......... or even "porcelain art" - which some people expect to be moulded porcelain clay, or artistic pieces of hand made porcelain.
Sometimes you just can't win!! :)
kaye hurn

Postby Johanna DeMaine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:24 am

Hi Christine
I personally feel that the title doesn't matter. What really matters is what you paint. Is it a study or is it innovative and creative? Does it relate to the form you are painting? The other thing that matters is what you are painting on. Is it the same old, same old form that everybody paints on or is is it something that catches your eye and compliments what you are trying to say or evoke with your mark making. How is it different from commercial dinnerware that is so readily available in a million different colours and patterns? All of the questions need to be balanced against each other and then it doesn't matter what you call it. What happens then is that you are getting the attention of the viewer as you are creating/extracting an emotion from them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Johanna

Johanna DeMaine
http://johanna.demaine.org
http://overglaze.info
Johanna DeMaine

Postby Christine Bennetts » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.......I may have to move Johanna to UK. Get a coat ready!!!!!!!! ;roflmao: Brrrrrrrrr Christine x
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Return to Discussions