____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

stamping on porcelain

a place for open discussions about chinapainting and other art mediums

stamping on porcelain

Postby Linda » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm

I am playing with stamping on porcelain. It looks smeared and the lines are not crisp.. So......
I sprayed a tile with some clear spray paint and dried that with a hair dryer. I stamped with paint mixed with a grounding oil and that worked a little better. Have any of you done any stamping and how do you do it? Rogo has a stamped picture on the forum and it is awsome. If I spoke spanish I would love to ask him how he did it to come out so professional looking. HELP..............PS I am using the stamps from Hobby Lobby that is used for card making etc.
Linda Tiller
Linda

Re: stamping on porcelain

Postby Christine Bennetts » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Best person to ask over this is Mary-Lou!!! :)

Mary-Lou is doing this at Centigrade in September and at the workshop the day before!!
Christine x :wave:
Christine in Southport,UK
Christine Bennetts

Postby Linda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

That is great. Do you think she would post a lesson on the forum? I am sure others would be very interested in how to stamp on porcelain. Or.....come on Christine, we can figure this out.
Happy painting,
Linda
Linda

Postby marcib » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Linda,
The stickier the oil , the better an image you will get .. so, yes , grounding oil definitely puts you on the right track.
I ve had good luck with grounding oil , and even with sugar water...
The trick is to spread the paint onto a tile very thin and stamp the stamp into that...so that you are picking up the paint just on the very top of the stamp.. just like you would with a stamp pad if you were using ink...You dont want to get paint down inside the stamp...
Its also important to press the stamp down carefully straight down and then pull it straight back up again.. Any sliding of the stamp side to side will smudge the image..
I suggested sugar water...( a great option for sugar water is to use a regular sugary soft drink..like Coke or Pepsi.. or better still, a lemon lime one like &-UP because there is no coloring in the drink ) .Just mix your powdered paint with it. ( stir it around a little first to get rid of the bubbles) ..The advantage of the sugar water is that it will dry fast...and hard... so you can then paint over it with your regular oil medium and it wont smudge.. ( saves you a fire )

marci
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby Linda » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for the information I will definately try the sugar or a clear soda. One thing that I tried, I painted a round circle on the plate with white paint mixed with a drying medium. I dried that with a hair dryer. That gave me a matt finish which looked like a paper finish. Then I stamped with paint mixed with grounding oil. That worked better than anything I tried before. Thanks again.
Linda

Postby marcib » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:58 am

Right because it gave you some tooth to work on .. the hardest thing about stamping on a glaze is that its waaaaaaaay too easy for the stamp to slide and smudge the design ... Thats where a sticky medium is helpful because it grabs a little more... and also not getting too much paint on the stamp as well...
You ll get the hang of it..
I hope you ll post the results.. We'll be eager to see what you ve been doing ...
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Return to Discussions