____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

4 portraits on one tile

4 portraits on one tile

Postby wen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi everyone,
Here are my latest portraits on a tile that was 15" x 12", unfortunately I didn't count the number of fires but suffice to say there were A LOT of them! I fired 2 portraits at a time and the background is mother of pearl lustre which worked well. I fired the lustre on the 2nd lot of firing and it did not get any lighter as the firings continued.

The photos I worked from were the worst I've ever seen and I wouldn't work from such dreadful ones normally but the client was a lovely woman (Vicki) so I decided to go ahead and work the challenge! There were many texts to her regarding the children's eye and hair colours. Vicki was intrigued with the process and made weekly trips to my home to watch it all come together. One visit she brought with her two of the children who are a lot older now than in the painting. The portraits are a belated Christmas gift from Vicki to her mother.

Please let me know what you think, all comments will help me make my next portrait better.

Wendy
Attachments
1st Jan 2017.jpg
wen

Re: 4 portraits on one tile

Postby Becky Syroka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 am

Wendy, I am always amazed to see how far you have progressed......virtually on your own (yes, you've had online help, but no a teacher in person to assist). And, you have developed a style uniquely your own and I always love when I can identify the artist from her work.

You are a brave girl to attempt painting four portraits on one tile......especially considering that the reference photos were of such poor quality. It was very kind of you to go ahead with the project under the circumstances, but I know that your client Vicki's delight at the finished project made the effort well worth all the extra work (and agony, no doubt!) due to the challenges of the poor study references. And it must have been really gratifying to be able to share your step by step progress with Vicki. It is difficult for those unfamiliar with the china painting process to appreciate the skill and effort required to pull this project off!

Thanks for sharing this incredible project!

;clap; ;bravo;
Becky
Becky Syroka
Portraits on Porcelain
http:beckysyroka.com
Becky Syroka

Re: 4 portraits on one tile

Postby wen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Thank you Becky for your lovely words. It's always special receiving praise from you, the person who taught me portrait painting by many emails and scratching of heads! Hopefully I'll never have to work from such terrible photos again but then I guess it depends on who wants the portraits painted for bedroom walls etc.

Love,
Wendy
wen

Return to Wendy Crawford