____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Santa plate with " Fireworks colors"border

Christmas Ornament by Beverly Stone

Santa plate with " Fireworks colors"border

Postby marcib » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Clicking on the photos will enlarge them , clicking again will enlarge them more

This plate is a piece that I painted previously , only with a portrait from a photo I took of a little girl .

portrait with Fireworks.jpg

Nancy Crites and I decided to offer the piece as a class subject for the 2017 Campana Art School because of the fun treatment on the border ... but I thought that students might be more interested in doing a Santa instead ... so this piece is the result ...

marci santa.jpg
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Re: Santa plate with " Fireworks colors"border

Postby marcib » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 pm

This is the photo I painted from .

santa4square.jpg

The piece took 5 fires to complete .
First fire:

santa f.jpg

Rather than putting the square image straight on the square plate, I decided to skew the image which makes it more whimsical and, I think, interesting .

I don't make a tracing of my portraits because they need to be as accurate as possible , so I make two copies of the reference photo ( as clear a copy as possible ) on regular copy paper ..not photo paper ( too stiff ) .. The copies should both be the size I want it to be on the plate and its critical that both copies be the exact same size.. You will use one copy to trace your line drawing onto the plate and will save the other copy to measure from ( using calipers ) if your actual painting starts to go astray . ( Becky Syroka has posted some great portrait lessons in her classroom , including one on the use of calipers )

TRACE CAREFULLY! if your tracing is off, youre in trouble before you even start . Take your time . I dont trace every little line.. just critical lines like the upper and lower eyelids, the iris ( not the pupil ) , nose , mouth , any strong shadows etc. The fewer lines, the better. ..less confusing .

Also, in this case, the glasses need to be traced as accurately as possible, paying close attention the shapes . Geometric shapes really show up any wobbles and bobbles in the lines .

I also traced the outside margins of the photo to hold the square edge .

When Im painting to demonstrate for a class ( as was the case with this piece ) , I generally put in less paint in the first fire because this gives me a chance to still do corrections in the next fire when the graphite has burned away ... and also because of the time crunch in a workshop atmosphere.... but when Im painting alone, I generally do more painting in the first fire when I can take more care with the painting and can also stop and start as needed before I have to fire it .

In this case, because I was using this to teach from , I have just enough paint on the face to hold the shapes of the features. .. and they are painted softly and the edges are all smudged and blended so there are no hard edges or lines .

I used Jane Marcks ' portrait colors :
blonde flesh for the light values
reflected light for the middle values
warm shadow for the dark values
Dark brown for the upper lash line
light red ( very softly ) on the lips and the tear ducts
baby blue on the iris ( a flat wash over the entire iris )
yellow brown and hair brown for the glasses
light red for the hat
grey mixed from baby blue and dark brown on the edges of the photo where the furon the hat or the beard hit the edge of the photo .. I didnt paint all of the fur or the beard.. just along the edges to hold that shape... and make sure to make the edges that are further away from the actual edge irregular so there wont be a hard line left...
Wipe out irregular fur shapes where the fur and beard overlap the hat.( I used several brushes to do this : Jane's texture and tendril brushes, some old synthetic brushes that I made more ragged by bouncing the bristles on the table and cutting with a razor so that I have alot of irregular hairs and also a stiff ox hair cheap brush that got the same " beating up " treatment . I also used a wipe out tool ...

wrinkles are painted in lightly and blended so they are smudgy with no hard lines .

I then applied a coat of mother of pearl to the border , using swirling motions to get good color play . Make sure to leave a small space between the MOP and the wet paint so the paint doesnt seep into the luster . This edge will be covered by the black border.

Fire
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby marcib » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:01 am

The basic technique is covered in the lesson " Snow Fun" . This explains how I did the border treatment.
http://ppioforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3902

santa e.jpg

Then laser cut snowflakes ( which I carry ) applied over the mother of pearl , Fireworks base mixed and sponged on over the laser cuts and mother of pearl and Fireworks " B" dusted on top .

This lesson gives details on the Fireworks colors:
http://ppioforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3441
Fireworks colors are a product I carry that are a fireable glitter that changes colors when viewed from different angles. It also looks completely different over a light background ( like the mother of pearl ) and over black ( like the snowflakes ) ..

santa d.jpg

Colors were deepened , still keeping all edged softened.

santa c.jpg

In this photo , you can see the laser cut snowflakes applied over the mother pearl border and the fireworks base sponged on . ( The blue color is from food coloring added to the base to make the white base easier to see and apply over the Mother of Pearl. That blue will fire out ) ... Fireworks " B" is dusted on top ....
More color was then added to the portrait as needed, including adding the pupils and highlights.

Beard treatment : At this point , I started to work the beard by painting in strong violet of iron in areas where skin shows through and then various grays on the rest of the beard.. If you look closely , you can see yellow greys, blue greys and neutral greys .

I then spent a lot of time wiping out the hairs of the beard and mustache using an array of brushes. I started out wiping the bottom layers , trying to brush the beard and mustache in the direction of the air growth . Then I kept wiping out layer after layer , pulling off more paint with each layer until I finally got to a final layer where I was pulling very fine hair textures back out to the white of the china . It's time consuming but worth it.

the result: ( This photo has been fired so you can see where the laser cuts have been removed and how you can see the mother of pearl show through the Fireworks " B" where the laser cuts were.

santa b.jpg
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby marcib » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:41 am

marci santa 2.jpg

Final border treatment... last fire.

I mixed some Fireworks base with a sticky oil ( could be copaiba or fat oil or grounding oil.. anything that is a little more gooey ) .. and added some black china paint to the mix so that the base looked black . ( Fireworks colors are their strongest over black ... ) ...
I then spread some of the base mix onto a tile , then dipped a snowflake rubber stamp into it. ( dab the stamp on the tile like you would onto a stamp pad ) ....Carefully press the stamp onto the border without sliding it . I discovered that NOT pressing hard left a better image. Pressing hard will make the stamp slide and also makes the base ooze out from under the stamp ... so a lighter touch is better.
Carefully lift the stamp and you should have a clean black snowflake stamped. If you goof, it can be cleaned off with alcohol .. and you can also clean up any stray edges with a wipeout tool and fix missing parts with a pointed brush ...
I also like to add little dots to the design .
Once youre happy with your stamped image, lightly dust on the Foreworks color of your choice and gently brush off any excess . The snowflake should now be a pretty fireworks color...
I used A, B , C , D, G and H on the snowflakes because those are the 6 sparkly colors.. L and M are a satin matt and are beautiful but I wanted all sparkle .
Do one snowflake at a time . ( You can also dust several colors onto a snowflake.. If you look closely , you can see places where I used several different colors... The colors will also change when you move the plate to a different angle .. )
Do all the snowflakes before adding more paint to the Santa .

Add more color to the Santa as needed...

The highlights on the glasses were Rosebud's Perfection Paints Pure White ( which I also use for the highlights in the eyes ) with a little base for gold added to it to make it a little more opaque .

This is a close up of the border treatment. You can see the layers of the mother of pearl snowflakes that were masked by the laser cuts ( the Fireworks color " B: over the MOP gives a sparkly pastel all over color ) and then the Snowflake stamps with the black paint added to the Fireworks base to make the fireworks show their strongest colors. ( All fireworks colors except L and M were used ) ..

marci santa close 2.jpg

Here you can see the piece tipped to two different angles and you can see how the fireworks border looks different from different angles... more of a silvery sparkle from one angle and a magenta sparkle from another angle... and you can also see some of the color shift in the individual stamped snowflakes....The effect is much more spectacular in person .

marci santa 2.jpg

santa a.jpg
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
marcib
Site Admin

Postby lisamac » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:11 am

Marci, I absolutely LOVE this! What a great painting! Thank you for sharing!!
Lisa
lisamac

Postby Cate » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:03 am

Thank you for such a great instructions.
Cate from Colorado
Cate

Postby Mary Lou » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Marci, :wave:
Excellent Santa Portrait instructions. Love every part of this design. Thank you! Mary Lou LaBerge
Mary Lou

Postby Lynn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

I am definitely going to give this a try. I love the snowflake affects. You are so talented.
Lynn

Return to Holiday Designs