____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Urn Project

Urn Project

Postby carol.miller » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:51 pm

This started with TOW for the week of 3/4/2012, Beverly Stone wrote: After you have an idea for the subject and type, shape of ware, how do YOU execute your painting? Do you get your painting area ready, with porcelain in hand and GO FOR IT? OR, do you have planned thoughts?

Here's my current project, an urn I am painting for my dad. I painted one for my mom a few years ago, and knew this one would follow some day. I knew it would be a fall scene and I wanted backlighting of yellow behind red and other colored leaves. Red and yellow would be the first challenge, so I started one test tile by painting it solid yellow with Celee Evans Lemon Zest on the bottom, a few white spots on the top and fired. Then I painted leaves using blood red, Paula Collins yellow brown #2, Celee Evans tan, Sonie Ames golden walnut and fired.

red-ylw test tile.JPG
Just testing the red and yellow together on this tile.

Since this design will eventually be going around the urn, and the urn is not a perfect cylinder shape, I decided to design on paper first, then transferred a few significant objects onto the china using graphite paper. I painted the first fire of the design for the front side of the urn on a larger 8x10 tile and just painted the leaves, with some yellow in between the other colors, and fired. Notice the sketching of the deer and shading on the trees is blue violet. I find this is a lovely color to use as a base for the shadowed side.

tile_1-first_fire.jpg
First fire-test tile #1 front side.

Here are some pictures of the finished urn showing the sides with the most trees to show the colors of the leaves. The design changed as I started to transfer it to the urn. I liked some of my ideas, but didn't like the composition on the rounded surface. I'll post more about the design changes later. This post is mainly to show the leaf colors.
Attachments
before the path-1.jpg
the path-1.jpg
oh deer-1.jpg
deer in the brush-1.jpg
carol.miller

Re: Urn Project

Postby carol.miller » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:47 pm

I added pictures to show leaf colors today. I believe I finally have posting figured out, and realize I need to reply rather than edit the topic to get the current date.
carol.miller

Re: Urn Project

Postby Arrilia » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Lovely piece, nice depth.
Arrilia
Arrilia

Return to Carol Miller