____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Ahka tribe woman

"Imari" by Shuko Kishida ( Japan)

Ahka tribe woman

Postby marcib » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:30 pm

When I had the privilege of teaching in Thailand years ago , Rex and I were blessed ( thank you , Ying!!) to be able to spend the 2nd week there seeing some of the country .. and one fascinating place we went to was a settlement of Hilltribe village people in Chang Mai .

It was a portrait painter's paradise! There were 6 different tribes , all with different traditional garments , selling crafts and allowing us tourists to take their photos . ( I asked one woman through the translator if it made her feel uncomfortable and she said no, that it was a way for her to support her family .)

Anyway , I came away with a lot of wonderful photos, some of which I ve painted, like the Karen tribe girl ( the long necks ) with the brass rings on their necks ... and a Yao mother with her little son and her beautiful red fluffy collared jacket and stunning embroidery .

I ve been putting off tackling this photo for a while because i knew it would be a challenge... Finally , I decided to dive in . The biggest challenge ( aside from the wrinkles ) was getting all the silver coins and beads in her headdress to look real .
At this point, I have two fires finished on the headdress but only photos of the first fire in stages right now. I will post more as I get the stages completed.

This is the photo. ( Its taken from the print out I did. I ll post a better version of the photo later )
Akha tribe woman photo.jpg

This is the first stage of the painting... It is on an 8 x 10 porcelain tile.

Because the headdress and beading were so complicated, I had to to a lot of wet on wet work and spent 4 days working on this first fire .
I had to start with the jewelry pieces that were further back and paint those first , then wipe out continuous layers of jewelry that lay on top of those pieces..

Akha tribe woman.jpg

At this point, I had a lot of the headdress pieces wiped out but I was still working on the side pieces and the seed beads that were under all the hanging pieces. You can see that I painted in pretty much solid areas of color and the next step was to wipe out each individual bead. ( In retrospect , I would have started the seed beads with a wash of black and wipes out from that instead of using the colors.. and then washed color over each strand after it ws fired once. As it is, I didnt get enough contrast between each seed bead and then had to go back in and repaint black shading around each bead. ARGH !!
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Re: Ahka tribe woman

Postby marcib » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:42 pm

first fire.jpg

At this stage , I have the seed beads all wipes out . As you can see, there just wasnt enough intensity shaping them ... and I also have most of the headdress wiped out ...

The next step is to wipe out the necklace pieces that laid on top of the seed beads ...

first fire jewelry wiped out.jpg

I now have everything wiped out ... and the piece was fired at this point ! WHEW !

close up of the headdress...first fire

jewelry close first fire.jpg

SECOND FIRE:

Second fire involved adding more shading to all of the metal , some yellows into the brass chandelier ornaments at the sides of her headdress and deepening the shadow areas where they needed to be stronger...

I also started to add some reflected colors into some of the silver beads and coins...As I looked closer at the photo , the challenge was to observe the way the colors of the seed beads ( and on one coin , an actual almost mirror image of some of the seed beads ) and her clothing and her surroundings reflected into the silver , that's when the piece really started to come alive.

Here is a close up of some of the beads and coins where you can see the surrounding colors reflected into them:

Akha tribe woman photo close up reflections.jpg

I dont have a photo of that fire yet... I did fire the piece though while still leaving only one fire on her face. At this stage, the headdress is nearly finished ( I hope!)

More to come.. Stay tuned.
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby krystalkat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Marci, this is awesome! Thank you for posting as you are so we benefit from your study. The conversation about metals is one I am making notes about...the beads and coins on this head dress are a wonderful example for us!

A gorgeous portrait! >^..^<
krystalkat

Postby Lynn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:48 pm

I am glad to know some body could figure out where to start on this portrait, Marci! I am in awe of your patience and talent. This is gorgeous with a capital "G"!
Lynn

Postby lisamac » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:40 am

Marci, I just found this! It will be a true masterpiece when complete...your patience is amazing and I can't wait to follow along as you paint this! ;clap;
lisamac

Return to Other