____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

ITALIAN CASSEROLE

ITALIAN CASSEROLE

Postby laceydew » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:05 pm

One night we wanted lasagna but did not have the lasagna noodles and I did not feel like making the homemade sauce. So, I made this up. My family loved it.

ITALIAN CASSEROLE

24 or 32 oz. pkg. wide egg noodles
1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium sized onion, chopped
19 oz. can Progressive Tomato Basil Soup
1/4 can of water (added to can after draining the soup)
24 oz. carton 2% cottage cheese
16 oz. bag shredded Colby-jack cheese or more if you like (or Colby mixed with Mozzarella)

Boil noodles according to directions. Do not over cook. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Shake out excess water and pat down with paper towels. Set aside.

In a large skillet, cook ground beef with chopped onion, stirring and turning until cooked through. Add the tomato basil soup and the 1/4 can of water to the skillet and stir. Keep warm in skillet.

In a medium sized bowl, mix cottage cheese with 1/2 shredded Colby-jack cheese. Set aside.

Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with vegetable spray.

Spread 1/3 noodles over bottom of prepared pan. With large serving spoon, randomly spoon 1/2 cottage cheese mixture over top and carefully spread out. Spoon meat sauce over the cottage cheese mixture and carefully spread out. Lightly sprinkle shredded cheese over top. Repeat layers, ending with noodles on top and then sprinkled with remaining shredded cheese.

Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven - 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. If you do not like crunchy noodles on top you can tent with foil before baking, or do two layers of noodles instead of three.
laceydew

Re: ITALIAN CASSEROLE

Postby laceydew » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Another version is to mix a cup of sour cream with an 8 oz. pkg. room temperature cream cheese. You can use the low fat versions and even use Greek Yogurt instead of the sour cream if you like. I beat these together and used in place of the cottage cheese. Just dollop a large spoonful here and there over the meat mixture and gently spread it over all. You can use mozzarella cheese or any shredded cheese you like on top. My husband loves it every time no matter how its made.
laceydew

Return to Main course