____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Venice Canal

Venice Canal

Postby Celee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:07 am

Hello. Here are some pictures of the subject I'm working on for one session at the Tybee School. I describe it as "Sunny Venice Canal with Gondola & Gondolier." While gathering all my source materials (calender, greeting card, and Google images), I became enamored with the beautiful details of the stucco/plaster buldings along the canals as much as the water and gondola themselves. So, I created a montage using bits and pieces from all the above to make my composition as original as possible! First fire was wipeouts, paying attention to highlights in the sky, water, and residences. I also wiped out the gondola, gondolier, and poles from the wet paint. On the second and third fires, I used Drop a Detail pen oil to detail as well as darken the gondola, shirt, poles, architectural features and some other things I've probably forgotten! And you can't say "Venice" without the iconic canal bridge, so I put one in the background.
Our actual class piece is a 12" tile, set in a wooden tray, so for that I'll paint these subjects in a similar composition but on a larger scale. I can already envision serving lemoncello liquer on it! I begin that (the piece, not the lemoncello!) next week. This vase will be an extra for class use. I've visited several Italian cities but not Venice. For those of you who've been, let me know if you recognize "your" gondola or if I stirred any memories! Ciao, Celee

Looks like London fog as my Venice scene unfolds with ethreal soft wipeouts....
IMG_9784_edited-1.jpg
IMG_9786_edited-2.jpg
IMG_9822_edited-3.jpg
IMG_9822_edited-3.jpg
IMG_9822_edited-3.jpg
Last edited by Celee on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Celee

Re: Venice Canal

Postby minervacox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 am

Celee/Bryce...if you would scroll on past the little letters at the bottom of the typing screen, that says "add image to post" (which only leads to a 3rd party place to store pix) down to the gray tab that says "upload attachment" which links directlly to your computer and here to ppioforum...we all could see the pictures easier, this 3rd party thing is a real pain in the hinney, especially for those folks that have dial up or have to pay for online time...we have to click over there from your posted pictures and then back to this forum....besides it is much easier to post the pix directly from your computer. That may be part of the trouble you are having trying to get pictures posted. Thanks..I am looking forward to seeing many more of your fabulous paintings.
Minerva in KC
minervacox

Postby eganj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 am

Venice is the most inspirational place I've ever been, I did intend doing some paintings but just not got round to it, thanks for posting , love the painting ;thanks;
Jill in England

My blog-
http://kilnfiredart.wordpress.com/

My websites
http://www.flat-bottles.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kilnfiredart.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eganj1

Postby Priscilla » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Celee,

This is a beautiful Venice canal scene! Can't wait to see the finishing touches!
;bravo; ;bravo; ;bravo; ;thanks; for sharing!

Priscilla :wave: :wave: :wave:
Priscilla

Postby Becky Syroka » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:39 pm

;dance: ;op ;bliss;
Dear Celee and Bryce,
I'm doing a happy dance......YOU DID IT!!! Love having you posting here on the forum and thank you so much for figuring out the attachment feature for photos. So much nicer now to be able to see the photos in order and nice size and without having to transfer to that awful Image Shack site! (I have dial up and it takes me forever to open the Image Shack photos...I often just give up).

Love your piece and your design Celee!
Becky
Becky Syroka
Portraits on Porcelain
http:beckysyroka.com
Becky Syroka

Postby jole » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks Celee for that lovely painting of Venice and Yes It brought back some lovely memories.. I loved that place .. didn't want to leave.. even though we stepped off the canal ferry into St Marks into 6 inches of water... I like Jill had lots of pix and meant to paint one when I got home... Hmmm haven't done it yet... I feel a stirring to hunt out mt photos... BTW You sky is wonderful Love it... Jole
jole

Postby sdpainter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Yeh Celee and Bryce ;bravo;
What a wonderful time we are going to have on Tybee Island as we paint and sing "o Solo Mio" or somethin' like that!
Suzanne Painter
GA Seminars by the Sea Porcelain Arets School
http://gaseminarsbythesea.net
sdpainter

Postby jodyiclark » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Celee, I do love this. Makes me want to go. ;clap;
jodyiclark

Postby Dominique » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 am

hi Celee,
I love it !!! i"m going to Venice en March, so i 'll enjoy your feeling about the italian town.
Thank you for sharing
dominiquehttp://www.ppioforum.com/posti ... 122&t=1182#
Dominique

Postby Lyn Millette Snyder » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am

Can't wait to get started on it, Celee!!! And I promise I won't sing!

See you soon, Lyn Snyder
Lyn Millette Snyder

Return to Celee Evans