____ ppioforum.com

______A place for PPIO folks to share photos and lessons.In addition to this forum , you can sign up for our free mailing list on our main website at www.PPIO.com.

Brielle

Brielle

Postby Carol Korros » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:31 am

This is the portrait I painted with Marci. It was my first attempt at painting a portrait. I will tell you that this exceeded my expectations and I am officially hooked. My suggestion for attempting portraits? Study the shadows!! It also helps to be able to smooth your strokes. To one of my mentors, Wanda Clampham (God rest her soul), painting ""too pretty" finally came in handy-LOL!!!
Please, let me know what you think.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank Marci for her patience. She is a wonderful teacher that totally explains each and every step. You won't be sorry if you take a seminar with Marci!
Attachments
Brielle for web.jpg
Carol Korros
Miamisburg, Ohio (south suburb of Dayton)
Carol Korros

Re: Brielle

Postby marcib » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 am

Well, I , of course, think it's FABULOUS!!! :)
and I love the plaid on the shirt ( private joke )

But I do have to share with everybody one of the things that made you so successful with this piece.. .
Observation .....and your willingness to practice it.

For the group: Carol told me that she spends a lot of time looking at shadows and shapes of shadows. She was telling me about a cafe she and Jay go to where there are photos on the wall and she breaks the photos on the wall down into shapes in her head while she is there. ( Carol , Im hoping you ll tell them what you told me ) ... and this prepared her very well for the seminar.

Portraits .... ALL painting, really , is nothing more than breaking down the shapes of the shadows and light and then painting what you see...whether you paint realistically or stylistically . But if you cant see it, you cant paint it. And our brains are actually wired to process the visual information we get into shorthand .... red apple, white dress in shadow... so , as artists, we have to retrain ourselves to see what is actually in front of us.

SEEING is everything.

And , like I said, Carol has spent a lot of time training herself to see before I even got there... so she made my job really really easy .
Marci >^..^< (x 8 )
sign for for the free mailing list at www.PPIO.com
www.MarciBlattenberger.com
marcib
Site Admin

Postby janebowen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Wonderful painting. You get a gold star. Wear it well. Jane
janebowen

Postby Carol Korros » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the kind words I’ve received. Like Becky, I wanted to paint portraits but not necessarily the Victorian ladies. I started studying shadows and shapes in pictures. In fact I have a picture of our dog on my desktop screen at work that I am going to attempt next. I’ll post it so you can see the shadows.

When I started checking out shapes, I noticed pictures at First Watch Restaurant. This is a breakfast/lunch only restaurant that has food related pictures on the wall. I know it’s a chain but I don’t know how large it is. One picture in particular is of a cup of coffee. I have studied this picture so much that I no longer see a cup of coffee but instead see the shadow shapes. This is an exercise that will help you no matter what your subject matter is.

Back to Buffy. See the show shapes under her eyes to the outside? Look at that shape on the eye on the left of the picture. Just under her eye there is light fur, the then darker shadow shape, and then more light fur. This is what shapes that particular part of her face to give it dimension. See the line down the middle of her forehead? See that the right side is dark and the left side is light? That gives shape to her forehead and shows the cure of that furrow. Oh, I could go on and on. Why don’t you study this picture and see what shadows and their shapes that you can see?
Attachments
PIC_0001.JPG
Carol Korros
Carol Korros

Postby Fran T » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:39 am

Love your dog and all the shadows. Great artist. Thanks, Carol. Fran/TX
Fran T

Postby beverly stone » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Very, very nice! I think painting something exactly as is not easy - You really have to concentrate and follow every detail. ;thumps;
I do like the plaid shirt........... Bev
beverly stone

Postby Carol Korros » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks Fran.

Bev, the shirt in the picture I was using was plaid but it was many, many colors. The first day, when I had the painting completed as much as I could except for the shirt, I told Marci that I didn't think the shirt would be plaid. I've painted plaid before but not in china paint. I was also afraid of messing up what I had already completed. I kind of re-grouped and just started painting. The plaid literally dripped off my brush! I'm happy now that I did it. By the way, this is the family we were visiting in Seattle.
Carol Korros
Carol Korros

Return to Carol Korros